Sunday, March 21, 2010

Some Honest Scrap

Thanks to my fellow mummy blogger at Finding My Weigh for passing on the Honest Scrap Award to me! The Honest Scrap Award is 'for bloggers who put their heart on display as they write from the depths of their soul.' Finding My Weigh is a true 'Honest Scrapee'; I love reading her posts on post pregnancy weight struggles and trying toddler times, so check her blog out if you haven't done so already.
Ok so now I have to list 10 honest, random and interesting things about myself, so pull up a chair, grab a glass of wine and get a pillow to rest  your head, it's gonna be a long night because...


....1. I'm a mull-it-over type of person. Some people have an uncanny ability to think and speak on the spot but when I try this, all I get is deafening silence and the sound of the the wind whistling between my ears. Not surprising then that one of my most used lines is 'let me think about that.'  It's the reason why my blog posts take an age to write. I write some, I google trivial crap (read: procrastinate), I write some more, I delete everything I've written and start over, I read some blogs, I write some more, I sleep on it overnight, I search through iStock images (read: procrastinate), I write a bit more. Then finally a week or so down the track a blog post is published. It's also the reason why it's taken me two weeks to compile this list, so....

....2. I asked fiance to help me out:

Nic: 'Tell me something about myself that's interesting or random.'
Fiance: 'Hmmm well you've travelled heaps?'
Nic:  'Yes but that's not really what I'm looking for, anything else?'
Fiance: 'I dunno you've never really done anything that random'
Nic: 'Uh huh, ok thanks and never mind!'

So there you have fiance's contribution to my list. I lived in London for 7 years which is a perfect base for globe hopping. My favourite city of all time is Florence for the architecture, art and that amazing sculpture of the Statue of David.

3. I love music with a passion. In days of yore (pre-baby that is), fiance and I averaged at least one music gig a week, sometimes more. I've seen Joe Cocker perform inside the Tower of London, stood less than a few metres away from Prince watching him perform Stevie Wonder covers at his after show party (pure genius!), and seen INXS play at my small local town hall before they were famous. If they invented a time machine the first thing I would do is transport myself back to the Woodstock and Glastonbury Festivals of the late '60s. Fortunately I've been able to see some awesome comeback appearances by artists like The Who, Paul McCartney, The Police and Blondie that I was too young to see first time round.

4. I once had a very cheesy piece of 5 minute fiction published in an Australian women's magazine. My short story about a woman who meets the man of her dreams in the supermarket (barf barf) paid the princely sum of $270. Originally titled 'The Shopping List', the editor changed it for publication to 'Aisle of Love' (cough, splutter, double barf barf!). I haven't tried to repeat it since which is probably just as well for an unsuspecting public, and Dame Barbara Cartland's crown as the queen of Mills and Boon remains safe for the time being.

5. I have a small tattoo of a lotus flower on my behind. I was first inspired by the symbolism of the lotus flower after seeing the movie about Tina Turner; 'What's Love Got To Do With It'. The following quote appears in the opening titles:

'The lotus is a flower that blooms in the mud. The thicker and deeper the mud, the more beautiful the lotus blooms.'

That quote really struck a chord with me, and the idea that such a beautiful flower survives adversity and grows toward the sun really motivates me to keep going no matter what life throws my way.

6. As a starry eyed teen I harboured ambitions to be an actress or a singer despite being painfully shy and of nervous disposition. I tried drama classes but suffered stage fright every time I had to perform (a case of the old wind whistling between the ears again!). Career fail? Yep!

7. I'm a comfort eater. If I'm stressed or bored I have the frightening ability to inhale food.

8. I'm a bit of a worrier, always have been ever since I can remember. Significant others have been known to refer to me as stressy pants, panic pants and stress head. What can I say other than I'm a gemini and it's in our nature to be flighty and prone to nervous energy!

9. I studied dance (classical, jazz and tap) for 10 years. Although I never had the physique (my ballet teacher told me I needed to lose some weight when I was 11, gotta love the early 80s for a complete lack of political correctness!). I would clomp around the class while others pattered gracefully but still I loved it and only started losing interest when I discovered boys and partying!

....and finally one from Google....10. On my blogger dashboard, my blog title is automatically abbreviated to 'Diary of a Domestically Challenged Ho....'! On that note I'm going to maintain a dignified silence!

Now for 7 bloggers that I feel embody the Honest Scrap spirit;

Busted Plumbing
Calamity, Kids and Other Stuff
The Lunatic Cafe
Mommy X
Wanderlust
Headaches Hormones and Hotflashes
The Snyder 5



And finally a big thank you to Jane over at World of Mamay Jane for giving me the Beautiful Blogger award, now twice bestowed. So just incase you're on the verge of pushing up z's and that pillow is feeling more and more comfortable, I'll link to my previous post for this award Sharing the Beautiful Blogger Awards Love

Have a great week!

20 comments:

  1. "Diary of a Domestically Challenged Ho..." Perfection. Hehehe.

    And ooh, I am Mrs WorryWorth too.=)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Thanks, and I accept. And so glad you are a new follower. Love your blog. I can relate to you on many levels, except the mull it over thing. I make decisions very quickly. That can be good and bad. Perhaps one day if we meet we can get together and listen to some good jams while we comfort eat and compare tattoos. XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. EEEE!!! Thank you thank you thank you!! My first blog award, I'm speachless and that NEVER happens.

    I may have to use some of your stuff, if that doesn't mean I disqualify for the award, LOL since a few are totally me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list! Awesome taste in music. Worrying, inhaling food when bored, thinking too much and wishing to be more quick-on-the-feet-like. Hmmm, we're alike in many ways!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, thanks so much for my award! It's really cheered me up after a bit of a long and stressful day. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on your award!! I found you through Wanderlust, and am very happy to have done so.

    I LOVE what you wrote about the lotus; I had no idea they are such mud-friendly flowers. Huh. Life lesson here, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, what an honor! Thank you so much, I am sitting her smiling a big old smile now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with you on point 7! I can devour a family size bag of salt and vinegar chipsticks in a matter of minutes on a bad day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on your award. I love the story behind your tattoo. Very cool

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on your award, dear Nic!

    And thank you so so so much for passing it on to me!! I'm honored :-) You rock the free world. And as evidence of your awesomness, I finally got you added to my blog roll... may you reign in glory ;-)

    Thank you thank you!

    PS: I loved the lotus story! I've never heard that before.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am your latest follower. I found you through Hearts and Families blog link. You can also follow me at www.safehomehappymom.com

    I'd love to learn more from your blog, and read up on archives.

    Have a great week(end)!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for all the comment love!

    To all award winners...you deserve it!

    And thanks to all my latest followers :) Now following back.

    I'm going to upgrade my comments app so I can respond to each individually...much better!

    Nic

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats on your award! And I love that abbreviated blog titie!

    ReplyDelete
  15. love the tattoo story, and you must tell me how to inhale food for comfort eating as a great way to do it without putting on weight!! (having just eaten 2 pieces of homemade flapjack I wish I'd had the inhalation trick half an hour ago!!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm loving the answers and especially the tattoo story. I'm so ready for more tattoos. I've tagged you in my blog to re-post your 1st blog. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. i left an award for you over on my blog

    ReplyDelete
  18. I always wanted to be a dancer. *sigh* Damn childhood for giving us hopes that we'll never attain.

    I found you on blogrankings, by the way. I like your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks Catie and Jessica for your comments and also for my award Jessica! I've been missing in action for a while due to a small thing called returning to work, but hope to start blogging again soon :)

    ReplyDelete