Saturday, February 27, 2010

There's a yummy mummy in here...somewhere!

I can't get enough of series 2 of She's Got The Look, airing here in Australia at the moment (friends in the US will already have seen it last year). With such a focus on youth culture, it's great to see a shift toward valuing beauty at any age. But what's really got me riveted is the behaviour of some of the contestants; it's a showcase of claw sharpening and neuroses at its best! Like beauty, it seems that insecurity and drama are also not only the domain of the young. When I first started dating my younger fiance in my mid 30's, I remember him being surprised at the time, wise cracking 'Gee I thought once a woman reached her 30s she (quote) "had it all together" (unquote)'. Errr no, not as the contestants of SGTL prove, and as I reminded him only a few months ago when I howled down the phone to him at work because I lost a gift voucher worth $100, sobbing hysterically 'bbuuuuttt I I I waaasss gggoing to to to buy a pair of ttttrainers wi wi with it!!!' Anyone would think my puppy had died!

However, in spite of their insecurities, there's no denying how fabulous these women all look (alas, when god was giving out attributes, and the contestants of SGTL were first in line for 'genetically blessed with youthful genes', I was too busy looking the other way, eyeing off the line for 'a love of food but a metabolism that will never burn it off'!).  After watching an episode, my inner yummy mummy wants to break out and I feel inspired to put a load of lippy on and run around the house all pouty lipped in my stillettos. But I'm more of a schlumpy mummy at heart...it's track pants, jeans and flip flops, comfort over style for me (apparently I seem to have forgotten I'm no longer at university!). So unless they develop a TV show called 'She Got The Schlumpy Mummy Look', I'll just have to stick to sharing my neuroses with fiance! Lucky him!

18 comments:

  1. following from Friday Follow. Glad I found your blog and i look froward to reading more! And, I'm more of a comfy-frumpy-mommy too! :) I hope to see you around my blog sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never did watch this show when it was here in the US but I have to agree with you. Unless they make the "Schlumpy" show I'm just going to be out of luck. :)

    Here from Friday Follow. Glad I found your blog. :)

    Kim
    http://themisplacedmidwesterner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see that my tag line is the same as your blog name! I will need to rethink things a bit.

    Following you from Friday Follow.

    www.alotofloves.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks all for the follow, now following you back.

    Marilyn - lol, there's a few amongst us with domestically challeged in the title or tag line...hmmm must be a common theme :)

    Nic

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a new follower, I came through from Friday Follow. I look forward to reading more and getting to know you :o) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute post!

    Following from Friday Follow~

    Happy Friday!

    Keely

    www.mannland5.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Following you back! And seriously, if I lost a 100 dollar gift voucher, there would be SO MUCH CRYING AND SCREAMING AND CURSING.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for following me from Friday follow! I am now following you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved your post!

    A late Friday Follower! Following you!

    http://bizzimommi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hellow! I'm following late from Friday Follow! Please come visit and follow my blog when you get a chance! Have a great rest of the weekend! Thanks!

    http://theadventuresofpaulnatalie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Here from FF.

    Stop by and follow me too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for following me, I am now following you
    Have a wonderful week

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't even imagine how I would react if I lost a voucher worth $100. Let's just say I'd make you look cool, calm, and collected!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Following you from Friday Follow!
    Come and see me @

    justanightowl.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey, just wanted to let you know, love your blog, I am your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey, I've tagged you with an Honest Scrap Award! You can check out my latest post if, like me, you don't know what it is!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi new friend, I am now following you via MBC.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for posting this resource, we find it to be particularly interesting! 3815 S 12th Ave Tucson, AZ 85714

    ReplyDelete